All App State students must meet the First Year and Sophomore Writing Requirements as part of the General Education Program.
Writing is an important foundational skill for being a successful student at App State. Your first two years of writing courses, referred to as Writing Across the Curriculum, are offered by the Rhetoric and Composition Program in the Department of English.
Directed Self-Placement and Self-Inventory
First Year Writing Requirement
Students can meet the First Year Writing requirement in several ways.
- Transfer in credit for R C 1000 from another college or university
- Receive AP/IB credit or other Credit by Exam for R C 1000
- Take R C 1000: Expository Writing at App State in fall or spring of your first year
- Take R C 1000 + 2000 (Expository Writing PLUS Writing Lab)
- Complete and pass the Challenge Essay