Next steps for confirmed students
As a new student, we know you're ready to start planning your academic journey to App State. After you have confirmed your enrollment and paid your deposit, complete the Advising Steps below to prepare for class registration and your advising appointment.
1. Verify Your Intended Major
2. Complete Placement Testing (if needed)
Determine if you need to take placement tests and complete the appropriate tests prior to registering for classes.
*If you scored at least a 550 on SAT Math or a 22 on ACT Math, you do not need to take the Math Placement test but be sure that you have submitted your test scores to App State to meet this condition.
3. Submit test scores and transcripts
- Send test scores for AP, IB, Cambridge A/AS, CLEP and other Credit by Exam. Be sure to submit all scores, including junior year and before.
- Submit official transcripts for completed college coursework from each institution you have attended.
Check DegreeWorks to ensure that all your credits have been received.
4. Update Courses in Progress
5. Review Registration Worksheets and Advising Planner
Registration Worksheets are designed to help first-year students with little to no transfer credit build their first-semester class schedule.
The Mountaineer Advising Planner is a supplemental resource designed to acquaint you with the academic policies and campus resources, as well as to assist you in planning your semesters at Appalachian, both in and out of the classroom.
6. Complete PREP, Register for Classes and Meet with an Academic Advisor
Once you have completed the Advising Steps you will be ready for PREP (Pre-Registration), a series of online modules that will explain App State's academic requirements and processes. Plan to spend 1-2 hours completing PREP.
After you have completed PREP and registered for classes, you will receive an email to schedule a required New Student Advising appointment.